Do you want to head abroad for your master’s or PhD? Then you have to prepare yourself for GRE General Test. The Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) is a standardized test required by many graduate colleges in the States and other English speaking countries. In addition to GRE score graduate colleges ask for an English language proficiency test i.e. IELTS or TOEFL score.
What are the things you need before scheduling for GRE?
1) A valid passport
2) An ETS account. You have to create an account in ETS and then use your login id to schedule for the test.
3) A MasterCard/Visa credit card for booking a test date slot.
4) Be well prepared for the test.
5) Thorough research of the graduate colleges and the type of courses they offer.
What is the revised GRE pattern?
GRE General Test is a computer based test which comprises of six sections. The first section comprises of analytical writing section with two separate issue and argument task for 30 minutes each. The next five sections will comprise of two 20-question verbal ability sections, two 20-question quantitative ability section and an experimental section i.e. a third verbal or quantitative section. One-minute breaks are offered after each section and a 10-minute break after the third section. The entire test will be of 3-4 hours.
How to prepare for GRE?
1) As starters, you can join any coaching class.
2) Comprehensive study guides by Barron, Kaplan or Princeton Review are very helpful in your preparation. The books are easily available in the market.
3) Boost your vocabulary and Begin with the wordlist for your verbal reasoning.
4) Revise elementary mathematics- Algebra, Geometry, Arithmetic, Numbers and figures and Data analysis.
5) Practice as many analytical writing tasks as possible.
6) Practice the mock test papers available online. Various online services are provided by Kaplan and Princeton Review. Another source of practice questions is ETS’s Powerprep Software, which is available on the official GRE Web site.
7) Time management is very necessary to answer all the questions and get a good score.
A Final Word
1) There is no penalty for an incorrect answer. So, feel free to take a guess.
2) Don’t try to waste time and energy wondering whether the computer is feeding you difficult questions or easier ones.
3) Your unofficial score for the verbal and quantitative sections will be displayed on the screen after you have finished taking the test. The official report containing all three scores will be mailed to you within three to four weeks.
4) After the test, you can send the score directly to four grad schools.
5) Your under graduate result matters, so aim to have a good CGPA.
That’s all I guess. All the best!!